The Thracia was originally built as the Orono for the Plate Steamship Co. by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesbrough, and launched in 1898 (some sources claim 1895). It was a cargo ship with no passenger accommodation.
The Orono was sold to Cunard in 1909 when the ship was renamed Thracia.
On 27 March 1917 the Thracia was torpedoed by UC 69 while carrying a cargo of iron ore.
|Dimensions||94.5 x 13.4 m (310 x 44 ft)|
|Fate||Torpedoed (UC 69)|
The wreck lies at an angle of 315 degrees, with the bow pointing to the north-west and the maximum depth to the seabed is 36m. The bow section is badly broken up and is mainly just a confusing tangle of beams and plates. One of the most distinctive features of the wreck is the two large boilers which lie side by side and stand a good 5m (16ft) proud. Immediately aft of the boilers and leaning over to the port side is Thracia’s distinctive triple-expansion stream engine.
|Position||47°30.809' N 003°17.406' W|